New Home Binder + FREE Printables!

So, the family and I are preparing for a move, and although we are super excited, it’s also a bit overwhelming.   So much to do, so many things to remember….
As you know, I’m a HUGE fan of binders for keeping things organized.  I have a Family Binder and a Mini Personal Binder, both of which I use every single day.  Therefore, it’s only fitting that I have a New Home Binder to keep me organized during our move, and after!
A lot of people move during the summer, between school years.  I hope this information will be helpful to all those of you who are doing just what we are.  I’m including a few FREE printables as well to help you out!  :)
First, gather your supplies.  Here is what I’m using (all from Office Max):
  • 1 1/2″ 3-ring binder
  • 8 1/2″ x 11″ pockets for 3-ring binder
  • 8-tab 2-pocket dividers
  • small zipper pouch for 3-ring binder

These 8 1/2″ x 11″ pockets are perfect for keeping together packets of paperwork.  For example, my mortgage loan documents are in one pocket, and I’m using the others for copies of the appraisal and home inspection.  They come 3 to a pack.
I really like these tabbed dividers.  They have a pocket on both sides of each divider for added storage and they are super sturdy.
The zipper pouch is great, too.  It has one big pocket to hold pens and such, then has 3 business card-sized pockets inside as well.
I made a few printables and put some labels on my tabs, and voila!  A very organized New Home Binder!
Some of my categories include:  Calendar, Weekly To-Do, Contacts, Receipts & Estimates, etc.  Keep in mind, we will continue to use this binder as a reference long after we move.  I will be adding sections for home repair records, and for copies of home and appliance warranty information, among other things.
And, as promised, here are the FREE printables to help you organize your move:
{Cover}
{To-Do this Week)
I used two different sections on this one so I could write notes on top and phone numbers at the bottom, for example.
{Weekly Countdown}
This is hugely helpful!  I researched information and compiled a helpful list of things that need to be taken care of as we count down to our moving day.  I left room in each section to add items that may be unique to your situation.
Enjoy!  Now I’m off to do some packing ;)

The DIY Dreamer
Signup
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

What a great way to stay on top of things during a move!! Great idea Kirsten!! The printables are GREAT!!

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality!!

2. says

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I have a fetish for organization and binders, too!! And on top of that, my family and I are moving this summer and this is going to be PERFECT!!! Thanks for working so hard on them and then making them available for FREE. so so awesome.

• says

Hey just FYI – We asked Wal-mart what they do with all of their boxes after they stock. They told us to come by any night around 11:30 or so, walk around as they stock, and ask for the boxes. We picked up a TON of free moving boxes this way. :)
      Thanks for stopping by the blog!!

3. Krista says

Hi!

Could you give me a list of the tabs that you use? I am a new homeowner and it has been an overload of information so I am very excited to start a binder just like this.

• Kirsten Thompson says

Hey Krista! I’ve actually combined a lot of the info I had in my New Home Binder with my Family Binder, which I use all the time now that we’ve been in our home almost 3 years. However, I’d love to help you as much as I can. You might consider tabs for things like: new home insurance policy, appliance warranties & manuals, contacts (maintenance man, plumber, post office, etc.), utilities (list names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and account numbers for easy reference), paint colors for each room in the house (maybe fabric swatches, too)… If I think of anything else I’ll let you know! Congrats on the new house :)

• Krista says

wow! thanks for the quick response :) This is my first time visiting your blog and I haven’t been able to look through it yet – I just found this binder on pinterest and thought it was a fabulous idea. I am excited to start peeking through everything! I am trying to figure out the color scheme for my house and how to organize everything.

• Kirsten Thompson says

No problem :) I put together a big Family Binder about a year ago and offer all 51 pages of printables for $5 – and I’m in the process of revamping that package to add a few more printables. You might find some of them helpful, too. I know it’s crazy stressful buying a new house! Here’s the info on the Family Binder, and if you want to sign up for the newsletter you’ll get a heads-up of the “refurbished” version coming really soon!

Trackbacks