Butternut squash gratin is creamy, cheesy and an all around amazing side dish. Filled with butternut squash, cheese and topped with golden bread crumbs.
I can’t believe November is here and turkey day is right around the corner. I have already started thinking about what to cook up for my family on Thanksgiving. This butternut squash gratin is one of my new favorite side dishes and is on the top of my list.
Luckily my mom came to visit this week and brought some butternut squashes straight from her garden. Butternut squash is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with and it is AHHHmazing in this gratin. A quick tip for peeling your squash, microwave it for 2 minutes. It softens the skin and makes it so much easier to peel and cut.
To make this gratin, start with softening the butternut squash cubes. Place them in the microwave with some water to help soften the squash. Cook up some onions and thyme in a skillet and then add in softened squash.
Add in garlic, nutmeg and some salt and pepper to taste. Next pour in some chicken or vegetable broth and cook until almost absorbed. Stir in heavy cream and cook until thick.
Place the squash mixture into an oven safe baking dish, top with Fontina cheese, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake until golden brown and bubbly.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium-large butternut squash peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded Fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and thyme. Cook until onion softens about 5 minutes.
- Please butternut squash in a large microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of water.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and add squash, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper to skillet.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth and cook until almost absorbed about 5 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Mix butter with Panko and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash mixture in oven safe baking dish.
- Sprinkle Fontina cheese over squash and then cover with Panko breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Genesis 7-9: The Flood and God’s Promise - April 25, 2018
- Cultivate a Joyful Summer with Cultivate What Matters! - April 24, 2018