What To See In Beautiful Juneau, Alaska
The day we spent touring Juneau in late June was gorgeous. The weather was clear, warm and sunny, making it the perfect day to take the Mt. Roberts Tramway up 1800 feet to the top of Mt. Roberts.
MOUNT ROBERTS TRAMWAY in Juneau, Alaska
Tickets and entrance to the Tramway are a short distance through the shopping district near the port. It’s an easy walk. We boarded the gondola at the base of the mountain and had a smooth, 5-minute ride up 1800 feet to the top of Mt. Roberts. The views of the Gastineau Channel and surrounding areas were stunning.
When you get to the top of Mt. Roberts, there is much to see and do for the whole family. All facilities and hiking trails are ADA accessible.
- Stop at the Nature Center (more like a gift shop with all types of books and gifts related to Alaska’s natural habitat) and pick up your hiking guide.
- Take a hike! The hiking trails are beautifully maintained with scenic overlooks at many points along the way.
- Visit Lady Baltimore, the beautiful bald eagle at the Juneau Raptor Center.
- Pick up souvenirs, clothing and one of kind pieces of art at the Raven Eagle Gifts and Gallery.
- Enjoy fresh Alaskan seafood and locally brewed beer at the Timberline Atop Mt. Roberts.
TWISTED FISH COMPANY ALASKAN GRILL in Juneau, Alaska
It was dinner time when we came down from Mt. Roberts and we were determined to have some King Crab Legs while we were in Alaska. About ½ a block from the Tramway on the waterfront is Twisted Fish Company Alaskan Grill. Our party enjoyed the DELICIOUS King Crab Legs, but there are plenty of options – all kinds of seafood, steaks, burgers, pizza and other casual fare. It was the perfect ending to our do-it-yourself shore excursion in Juneau, Alaska!
Going on an Alaskan cruise and don’t know what to pack? I was in the same boat and took WAY TOO MUCH! Download my packing list based on WHAT I ACTUALLY WORE here: What I Packed For My Alaskan Cruise
White Pass and Yukon Route Railway Tour Alaskan Cruise Excursion – Take the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway Tour for a scenic excursion on the rail line that was built in 1898 to transport men on the hunt for gold in the Klondike. This is a “must-do” shore excursion.
About Cathy Lawdanski
My name is Cathy and I’m a 50-something wife, mother, and grandmother. I write about the adventures and challenges women face in midlife. Things like aging parents, adult children, grandchildren & retirement. And lots of fun stuff like travel, entertainment, cooking and trying new things! Join me on the adventure.
- 5 Tips For The Best Multigenerational Family Vacation - March 20, 2017
- 5 Best Reasons Not To Miss The Stunningly Beautiful Butchart Gardens - February 16, 2017