Okay, let's talk about something most women don't like talking about - wrinkles, ages spots, crow's feet...aging skin. I'm in my early 40s and, while I don't currently have many of these issues, I want to avoid them as much as possible. So when it was time to make more of my daily moisturizing face serum, I switched up the recipe to help combat the signs of aging.
Over the summer, I made a DIY Essential Oils Face Serum using frankincense, copaiba, and lavender, and have been using it twice daily ever since. I honestly love it, but needed something a bit tougher on my maturing skin.
(THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE MY DISCLOSURE HERE.)
Supplies To Make Face Serum for Aging Skin
To make my essential oil face serum to fight the signs of aging, I’m using a glass 2 ounce dropper bottle.
*TIP: It’s important to use glass bottles when using essential oils. Particularly citrus oils can break down plastics over time.
To a 2-ounce dropper bottle add:
- 10 drops White Angelica essential oil blend
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Frankincence essential oil
Fill the remainder of the bottle with organic jojoba oil. Be sure to gently roll the bottle in your hand to blend ingredients before using.
TO USE: Apply 5 -7 drops in the palm of your hand and rub all over your face, neck, and decolletage twice daily after washing your face.
Essential Oils for Skincare
I chose these particular essential oils and oil blends for a reason. Each of these oils have properties that are beneficial to your skin.
Frankincense essential oil is a natural astringent, meaning it helps balance the oil production in your face and tighten your skin. (Bye bye wrinkles!) It also has been shown to help lighten blemishes and improve elasticity.
Lavender essential oil naturally kills bacteria, which means any breakouts or blemishes can be treated with lavender. The antibacterial properties also help alleviate any scarring from past breakouts. It’s also packed full of antioxidants, which aging skin needs to fight the free radicals that cause wrinkles.
Now this one might be a bit of surprise, but if you look at the various oils that make up this blend, you’ll quickly see how amazing they are for skincare:
- Sweet almond: naturally contains Vitamins A (a retinol) & E (natural UV protectant), omega-3’s and zinc (which can heal facial scarring).
- Bergamot: natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
- Myrrh: has been known to reduce inflammation and fight wrinkles
- Geranium: its astringent properties help tighten the skin to reduce wrinkles
- Sacred Sandalwood: helps reduce puffiness and give your skin a natural radiance
- Ylang Ylang: helps promote balanced oil production and helps keep skin moisturized (plus it smells really good)
- Coriander: a popular choice for fighting acne
- Black spruce: great for soothing minor irritations in the skin, like PMS-related breakouts
- Melissa: excellent for various skin issues, like eczema; also acts as a natural mood booster!
- Hyssop: natural anti-inflammatory
- Rose: hydrates dry skin and reduces signs of aging
So as you can see, White Angelica alone is a powerhouse for your skin, but when combined with Frankincense and Lavender, you’ve got a team of hard-working oils helping to reduce signs of aging and to make your skin look and feel phenomenal!