Hey friends! Today kicks off a fabulous season in blog world. Nope, not fall! It’s the One Room Challenge, hosted by Calling It Home! Over the next 6 weeks, tons of bloggers, including myself, will be updating one room in our home and sharing the progress with you! I’m tackling my craft room/home office, and today I’m sharing my inspiration photos & plans for this space. Follow along!
I chose my craft room for several reasons:
- My purpose for this room has shifted away from a dedicated crafting space to more of a multi-purpose home office space.
- I shoot video tutorials and webinars in this room, but have to rearrange furniture every single time.
- I have too much stuff that I no longer use!
- It’s one of the first rooms you see when you come in the front door and it’s just a hot mess constantly.
Now, a couple years ago, I did give this room a major facelift. Let me show you that transformation again, in case you missed it the first time.
When we bought our house a little more than three years ago, this home office space was a putrid color that I can only describe as baby-poop-green. It was horrendous, and that’s putting it nicely. As soon as it was in the budget, I covered that ugly color up with a happy turquoise.
Let’s talk about that for a minute. I love turquoise, and I think it’s a happy color. And I will admit, I get happy when I walk into that room, for the most part.
But, I mentioned that I shoot videos in this room, and, well, turquoise doesn’t cast the prettiest tone onto my face or anything I’m trying to photograph. Didn’t really think that decision through completely.
Ok, see this bookshelf? It’s massive, and I love it. But I never got around to painting it, so it’s just raw wood. Totally fine for some, but I want it finished. Plus, you see all that crap on it? I desperately need to wittle that down to a dull roar and organize it a lot better.
And the tables. Oy.
Too much going on in this room, including too many tables.
Now, the room actually looks a bit differently now. I’ve swapped the location of the big table with one of the smaller tables and hung a few pictures, but that’s about it. And it’s just not working for me any longer.
THE COLOR PALETTE: BLACK & WHITE with touches of color
I think a black & white color palette is very chic & clean for a home office, and I can change up the accent colors any time I want very easily without having to do a complete overhaul.
THE TO-DO LIST:
- Paint the walls bright white
- Paint the wood bookshelves black
- Hang sheer white curtains in the windows, and possibly in the entryway
- Paint the chairs white & cover the seats in black & white fabric
- Set up a permanent video & photography station along one wall
- Remove excess furniture, art work, and supplies
- Rearrange remaining furniture
- Create a gallery wall
- Organize remaining supplies in a way that makes sense
- If I get really brave, or convince the hubs to help, the ceiling fan will come down & I’ll get a pretty light fixture, too!
So, I’d love to hear your thoughts on my plans to update my home office! I hope you’ll follow along for the next six weeks as I share my progress with you, and stick around for the “big reveal” on Wednesday, November 11th!
You can follow along with everyone participating in the One Room Challenge as we all link up our posts every Thursday on Calling It Home! I’m so excited for this challenge. It was just the kick in the pants I needed to get this room finished!